Saturday, May 28, 2016
10:00am - 5:00pm
Sunday, May 29, 2016
12:30pm - 4:00pm
The Cathedral will be open from 10:00am to 5:00pm on Saturday, and from 12:30 to 4:00pm on Sunday.
Saturday’s Program will include group and self-directed tours of the Cathedral throughout the day in both Mandarin and English, as well as the opportunity to climb the tower to the ringing room for a demonstration and explanation on the art of change ringing. There are to be organ demonstrations and the opportunity to meet the organist at 10:30 and 11:30am as well as 1:30 and 2:30pm, and one can participate in a Eucharist Service at 12:30pm.
Sunday’s Program includes on-going tours of the Cathedral in Mandarin and English, and the opportunity to hear the Cathedral choir rehearse at 3:00pm Although Doors Open in the Cathedral officially ends at 4:00pm on Sunday, one is invited to stay for an organ concert from 4:00 to 4:30pm followed by Evensong.
St. James Cathedral dates back to the founding of this city and was its first church. The present building is the fourth on the site, and opened for services in 1853 after the fire that burned much of the Old Town in 1849 destroyed the former cathedral. Its tower is the highest church tower in Canada, and memorials along its walls date back to parishioners who fought in the American Revolutionary War. The gold leaf ceiling over the chancel area was created by Gustaf Hahn, and the magnificent stained glass windows come from Germany, England , the U.S. and Canada, while Toronto artist, the late Doris McCarthy created the hanging of the Trinity in the Baptistry. Take the time to go into St. George’s Chapel, now a memorial for the Royal Regiment of Canada, and then over to the West Porch to see the memorial window of the Governor General’s Horseguards, the second regiment attached to the Cathedral showing James, our patron saint, stepping out of the fishing boat where he had been mending nets with his father and coming to Christ. It was dedicated by the Queen at the time of her visit in 1997 and marked our 200th anniversary.